- Emiliani C (1968) The Pleistocene Epoch and the Evolution of Man. Curr Anth 9: 27-47.
- Emiliani C (1972) Quaternary paleotemperatures and the duration of the high-temperature intervals. Science 178: 398-401.
- Emiliani C & Schackleton NJ (1974) The Brunhes Epoch: Isotopic paleotemperatures and geochronology. Science 183: 511-514
- Shackleton NJ et al. (2003) Marine Isotope Substage 5e and the Eemian Interglacial. Global and Planetary Change 36: 151-155.
- Bergner AGN & Trauth MH (2004) Comparison of the hydrological and hydrochemical evolution of Lake Naivasha (Kenya) during three highstands between 175 and 60 kyr BP. PPP 215: 17-36
- Lynch-Stieglitz J (2004) Hemispheric asynchrony of abrupt climate change. Science 304: 1919-1920.
- Trauth MH et al. (2001) Response of the East African climate to orbital forcing during the last interglacial (130-117 ka) and the early glacial (117-60 ka). Geology 29: 499-502.
- De Menocal PB & Rind D (1993) Sensitivity of Asian and African climate to variations in seasonal insolation, glacial ice cover, sea surface temperature, and Asian orography. J Geophys Res 98: 7265-7287.
- Cohen AS et al (2007) Ecological consequences of Early Late Pleistocene Megadroughts in Tropical Africa. PNAS 104: 16422-16427
- Scholz CA et al. (2007) East African megadroughts between 135 and 75 thousand years ago and bearing on early-modern human origins. PNAS 104: 16416-16421.
- Trauth MH et al. (2003) East African climate change and orbital forcing during the last 175 kyr BP. Earth Plan Sc Lett 206: 297-313.
- Trauth MH et al. (2010) Human evolution in a variable environment: the amplifier lakes of Easter Africa. QSR 29: 2981-2988
- Sturchio NC et al. (1993) Climate-driven variations in geothermal activity in the northern Kenya Rift Valley. Nature 362: 233-234.
- Hillaire-Marcel C et al. (1986) 14C and Th/U dating of Pleistocene and Holocene stromatolites from East African paleolakes. Quat Res 25: 312-329.
- Tierney JE et al. (2008) Northern hemisphere controls on tropical Southeast African climate during the past 60,000 years. Science 322: 252-255.
- Stager JC et al. (2011) Catastrophic drought in the Afro-Asian monsoon region during Heinrich Event 1. Science 331: 1299-1302.
- Clement AC et al. (2004) The importance of precessional signals in the tropical climate. Clim Dynam 22: 327-341.
- Basell LS (2008) Middle Stone Age (MSA) site distributions in eastern Africa and their relationship to Quaternary environmental change, refugia and the evolution of Homo sapiens. QSR 27: 2484-2498.
- Compton JS (2011) Pleistocene sea-level fluctuations and human evolution on the southern coastal plain of South Africa. QSR 30: 506-527.
- Jacobs Z et al. (2008) Ages for the Middle Stone Age of southern Africa: Implications for human behaviour and dispersal. Science 322: 733-735.
- Powell A et al. (2009) Late Pleistocene demography and the appearance of modern human behaviour. Science 324: 1298-1301.
- Blome MW et al. (2012) The environmental context for the origins of modern human diversity. A synthesis of regional variability in African climate 150,000-30,000 years ago. JHE 62: 563-592.
- Harvati K et al. (2011) The Later Stone Age calvaria from Iwo Eleru, Nigeria: Morphology and Chronology. PLoS ONE 6(9): e24024.